Sunday 1 May 2011

May 2010

Phew! May has been an extremely busy month. Not only was it a five Sunday month but there was Ascension Day, the Archdeacon’s visitation and three weddings to ring for too.

I really enjoy ringing for weddings – and not just because it’s the only time I get paid – it is just so joyous. Twice this month though we have arrived at the same time as the bride, one bride being over 25mins late. I wonder if they realise we are sitting around in the tower waiting?

I was really very sentimental the first time I rang for a wedding at Swanage as my great-grandparents were married at St Mary’s on 23rd March 1859 by the curate Lester Lester. I fondly imagined my great-grandmother walking down to the church from Church Hill, where she lived, to marry the man she loved. However, I’ve since discovered that my great-grandmother was 7 months pregnant when she married and was my great-grandfather’s servant. Having paid off another servant girl he got pregnant 2 years previously, he didn’t have enough money to pay my great-grandmother off too so he married her. The thought of her waddling 7 months pregnant down Church Hill doesn’t quite have the same romantic image!

We had one first this month; a quarter peal of Hever Little Bob Triples which was a first in method for all who rang in it. I had my first attempt at treble bobbing on 8 to a quarter of Yorkshire Surprise Major but didn’t get it – I will try again in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment